Winter Pest Control Tips from AAA Pest Control
Winter can be a challenging time for pest control, as many pests try to find shelter and warmth in homes and buildings. However, there are several steps you can take to prevent pests from entering your home during the colder months.
- Seal cracks and gaps: Pests can enter your home through even the smallest openings, so it’s important to seal any cracks and gaps in your walls, windows, and doors. Use a caulking gun to seal gaps around pipes and wires, and replace any weatherstripping that has become worn.
- Keep your home clean: Pests are attracted to food and debris, so it’s important to keep your home clean and free of crumbs and clutter. Wipe down counters and tables after meals, and store food in sealed containers.
- Remove potential shelters: Pests can hide in piles of leaves, wood, or debris. It’s important to keep your yard clean and free of potential shelters. Clear out any piles of leaves, and stack firewood at least 20 feet away from your home.
- Keep your gutters clean: Pests can use clogged gutters as a pathway into your home. Keep your gutters clean and free of debris to prevent pests from entering.
- Use a pest-repellent spray: You can use a pest-repellent spray in areas where pests are known to enter, such as door thresholds and window sills. These sprays will discourage pests from entering your home, but it’s important to use a product that is safe for use inside your home.
- Consider professional pest control: If you’re experiencing a pest problem, it’s important to consider professional pest control. A professional exterminator can identify the specific pest and recommend the appropriate treatment.
- Keep the warmth inside: Pests are attracted to warmth, so it’s important to keep your home well insulated. Seal gaps around windows and doors, and make sure your furnace is in good working order.
- Keep trash away: Pests are attracted to garbage, so it’s important to keep your trash cans sealed and away from your home. If possible, store them in a shed or garage.
- Check for pests when you bring in firewood: Pests such as termites and carpenter ants often hide in firewood. Before bringing firewood into your home, check it for pests, and if you find any, dispose of it properly.
- Be mindful of pests coming in with holiday decorations: Christmas trees, wreaths, and other holiday decorations can harbor pests such as spiders and beetles. Before bringing them into your home, inspect them for pests, and dispose of any that are infested.
Winter pest control requires extra attention to detail and persistence. By taking steps to keep your home clean, sealed, and warm, you can greatly reduce the chances of pests entering your home. If you’re experiencing a pest problem, it’s important to consider professional pest control. Remember, the key to winter pest control is being proactive, being aware of the potential pests and being consistent with your pest control measures.
Call a Professional Exterminator
If you have pests that are invading your home or office, call your local pest control professionals at AAA Pest Control.
If It Bugs You, Bug Us. – AAA Pest Control – 253-854-7117